Naples Art is seeking artists/designers submissions of original, creative “wearable art” concepts for the sixth annual “Scene to Be Scene” runway fashion show taking place on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023.
Art in all media and styles will be considered in a blind submission selection process, including but not limited to sculptural creations, repurposed items worn as garments, found object ensembles, and creative accessories for both men and women.
Judges look for unique, out-of-the-box concepts that are bolder and more evocative of living art than typical ready-to-wear runway fashion. Examples of past creations include porcelain cast bodices, hand-painted glow-in-the-dark parachute dresses, sculptural gowns and headpieces made of fresh flowers and branches, upcycled foil embellishments, paper origami outfits and original watercolor paintings applied to silk satin.
This signature annual event of Naples Art provides artists and designers an opportunity to showcase their creative talents in a captivating, imaginative runway show — as the centerpiece of a high-profile gala attended by hundreds of Southwest Florida’s art-minded citizens. The event is publicized, and artists are listed in the printed event program and get to participate in a post-show meet and greet with guests.
Jury and Selection Process:
Naples Art uses a blind jury process to ensure impartiality during the selection. A panel of fashion and art professionals will select designs from the entry descriptions, drawings and/ or digital images based on originality, creativity, artistry, complexity of workmanship and how well the piece will present down the runway.
• Application and sketch submissions due: July 1.
• Notifications of acceptance or decline: July 30.
• Final sketches, materials and/or 1st mockup due: Sept. 15.
• Jury will make constructive comments around materials/sketches on an as needed basis to help ensure pieces are cohesive with show aesthetic.
• Photos of finished pieces due Nov. 30.
• Appointments will be made for second review in mid-October, for review of garment progress, model castings and hair/make-up discussions.
• Scene to be Seen runway fashion show event takes place Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023.
For more information or to apply, visit www.naplesart.org/call-for-artists/scene-to-be-seen or call Naples Art at 239-262-6517. ¦